3/1/07

that's a wrap.


Wellllllll, long story short, tweaked out my knee while skiing Saturday. Nothing too serious, didn't feel anything 'pop', but definitely felt some things stretched beyond normal. Must not have been too bad, since I managed to ski on it for another 5 hours after that goofy fall. By the time I got home though, it had stiffened up quite bit, but never really swelled at all which is a 'good' sign in my mind. Inquired with the good doctor yesterday, he's thinking possible MCL sprain; continue the RICE treatment, take it easy and don't ski on it 'til it's back to 100%.

Looking at the calander, and based on how it's recovering, looks like my ski season is finished. I don't think there'll be much worthwhile schussin' to be had once I'm back to 100%, and after the awesome time we had Saturday, I'm more than content to end the season with a stellar day like that. Now it's time to scratch that itch that's been popping up the last couple weeks. The stable of bikes have been giving me the old evil eye recently, taunting me as I walk out the door with skis in hand. The Feb ride tally is dismal, maybe 5 hours in the saddle, 1 mtn ride a couple weeks ago and 1 road ride Tuesday eve to see how the knee felt. Not too concerned about fitness, put in a bunch of loooong 7ish hour ski tours plus the regular sessions at the lift served 'gym' over the last 6 weeks. Just need to parlay that into something I can use on the bike, pedal stroke was definitely clunky the other night.

So, I got that much needed break from riding with a whirlwind ski season, managed to not damage myself too badly and now I've got a bit of the hunger to start laying down some miles. This knee thing could be a bit of a blessing, nothing like a bit of forced rest & recovery to let all that 'work' on the skis settle into a nice foundation for the season. Still some work to do on the ground level for sure, but I like the way the floorplan is laid out right now. Now I just need to get the steads ready to rumble, that'll be worth a few posts I'm sure, as all my rides seem pretty clapped out right now.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like your knee is ready from some nasty fixed gear grinding

fitness math...
7 hours skiing = kidding yourself

Tomi said...

meh, don't know about that.....
7 hour session at WG with a HRM on saw an average of 141, 4 hour mtn ride usually sees mid 140's for the avg.....you do the math.

Being anonymous must be kool.