3/10/07

laundry list

My work bench, probably as 'clean' as it's been in about 2 years.
Gonna be spending some quality time down in the bat cave, plenty of work to do on the stable. Settled my bike dilema, wasn't quite sure what to do with the Yeti this year; dump a few hundred into a new drivetrain, or part out the frame/fork/wheels and then look into a convertable ss/geared 29er. If you're able to put 2 & 2 together, it's obvious that I'm re-upping with the Yeti. Stinky Pinky is getting a full compliment of new shifty bits. Blingy XTR rings and cups, chain, cassette, cables, housing and eventually a fresh pair of sneakers. The front end needs a fresh set of seals and the rear shock is gonna get re-bushed and possibly sent out to Push for a full overhaul.

I'll never ever ever part with the DBR Ti, gonna ride her 'til she falls apart, literally. And she'll be single dingle for the rest of her existence, probably fixed for the most part. I mean, shit, if you're gonna ride a single, may as well 'keep it real,' ya know? I might, might, set her up with a freewheel for a few rides, like the 50 milers I'll be racing, maybe. Right now, I have no idea how I'll approach the season. I have the fixy quest of course, my big fat goal for the year, and I will fix the 101 and the Hundo again, I've got scores to settle with those courses. Everything else is up in the air, and damn, it always feels good to stand on the podium. Usually my best shot at that is by running gears in the Vet class, the singlespeeders around here are monsters, Bucky, Withers, Matt F, Elk, Topher, Bender, etc, etc. So my approach to the remaining 'normal' races will probably be mood & ego dependent.....but I digress.

The only thing that's really neccesary for the single right now is a new chain. But I went ahead and picked up new pedals, along with fresh bushings & seals for a fork overhaul. Heading out shortly to State College to pick up a set of UST rims, so I'll not be worrying much at all about flats this year. Also have a new front disc on the short list of remaining things I wish for. Really like the feel of the Juicy 7's over the older Hayes that usually adorn the DBR. Need to think about which size rotor to go with though. And maybe a fresh crankset, either a White or Middleburn would be sweet....

The skinny tired critters are simple enough. The Lemond will take fresh cables and bar wrap along with the full douche treatment. Road fixy only needs a front brake cable refresh. Need to start lurking on Ebay for a set of calipers so I can swap the front brake back over to the Lemond. Eventually plan to strip her down bare and throw on a fresh coat of paint once I'm thru my 'base' and the weather is more agreeable. No need to bling out the paint only to trash it during the spring rains and thaw.

hmmm, wonder why I'm always broke?

No comments: