3/2/07

base.

Yes, it's 6:40 (now 7:00, it took me 20 fucking minutes to write this tripe, but idid need to google up an image, that's tuff stuff) on a Friday night, and I am blogging.



Welcome to my life. Another bit of perky news, while riding last night, trying to get the apparently smarter than me Cateye cyclocomputer 4000 Rel. 5.3 to boot up and tell me what time it was, I saw that I had a bit over 400 miles logged into that sucker. Guess that means, that from some time around the Punk Bike, when I managed to 'lose it' and flip to 100% fixed, I've gottne in about half of what I traditionally consider my 'base'. This is the old school of thought. Back when everything you needed to know about getting ready to race a bicycle, and what you needed to know once you were ready to race a bicycle, could be found in the bible of my generation: Eddie B's Bicycle Road Racing.

I loved, no, LOVE this book. But, I lost my copy in the post college transfers.........I swear it's in that box in the closet of my old room at my parents. Right there under my baseball cards. The cards are always there, but never my bible. So much old school wisdom. Before all of this power meter, scientific, lactate threshold bullshit. I mean, god damn, if your weak on rolling rollers into a headwind, then go out into the orchards and smash those fucking headwalls into submisson.

I just lost my train of thought.

Fuck it, just get out and ride your fucking bike.
Train your weakness, play to your strength.
Throw it down against your fellow man, as well as the
chosen route for the day, and against yourself above all
else. Challenge your own fucking expectations and
see it thru. Can't ask for much more than that.
I need another beer.

much peace.

2 comments:

CabbageHead said...

Dear Mr. McMillar:

I am an attorney representing Karmichael Training Systems, Inc. While I accept your free right to criticize modern training methods, and hence, promote your own "caveman" methods of spinning one lone fixed cog, I must warn you that we may have an obligation to file a legal claim against your recent blog posting.

In 2007, Karmichael Training Systems, Inc. legally acquired trademarks to the words, "training", "power", "lactate", and "intervals." In fact, we have legally registered every word that pertains to fitness for our exclusive use. Except for the word, "fartlek." Frankly, that word is just so silly, none of us here can say it without giggling. That one is all yours.

So, please Mr. McMillar, refrain from using any words that refer to training (trademark) in your blog. By now it should be clear to everyone, that only KTS, Inc. can possibly make sense of effectively riding a bicycle (trademark). After all, we made Lance.

Please feel free to contact us, should you come to your senses and wish to purchase our newest power training $y$tem or if you wish to pay for the $ervice$ of someone on our coaching $taff.

Regards,
U. R. Mahbitch, Esq.

van den kombs said...

Your training advice was priceless enough...then I realized the courage it took for you to post it despite the threats from the MAN against use any words besides fartlek !