3/18/07

evolution?

So, the Yeti is in a box, just about all ready for the UPS truck and a trip home to CO. The winds of change blew, and I guess you could say that I listened, I guess. I've been pondering the switch to big wheels all winter long. After watching what they can do in the local environs under the likes of Bucky, Jake, Swithers & Mr Camp for the last couple seasons, I've liked what I saw. And while never really feeling 100% fast on the Yeti, I've kinda had doubts that full boing was for me. Yeah, the Yeti carried me to some remarkable results, a couple of token wins and a handful of notable podiums, but I'm not sure that I ever really synced with the ride. Especially w/ my newly matured fixy fixation.

Cadence on a 32/16 @ 10mph, which is a decent singletrack groovin' pace, is 65rpm, 8mph is ~50rpm. I found that the Yeti only feels efficient if you're pedalling her at 80-90rpm, it's like a turbo when you're on top of the gear, especially if you can stay on top of it. But, and this is a big BUT, when you're trying to switch back and forth from fixed/ss to your 'back-up' dualie, there always seems to be a too long spell of re-adaption, like on the order of 1-2 weeks to recalibrate and find that groove. I just can't ride the ss and then jump on the Yeti and immediately feel like like I'm gettin' it, and vice-versa.

Last year, I didn't touch my ss until mid June. Because of focusing on the Big Bear 24hr duo and knowing that I was racing the Yeti, I had to stay with that approach/technique. You really need to ride the different forms of bike differently, especially if you wanna be 'fast racer guy' on one bike or the other, ya know? I'm not talented enough to jump from one to the other and back again. And then, sometime last summer, Travisimo gave me shit about not being able to flow the corners.... "Dude, you need to get back on your singlespeed, cuz you were fucking that shit all up.....what's up with the heavy braking?"

Well, I don't know what it was, but as much as I get heckled by the Cupcakes, that remark struck home......I kinda recall that that grumpy bugger was on a ss that day, hence his troubles following me with my excessive braking and jumping out of the corner to spin her back up to speed approach. Was definitely lacking the ss flow and I knew it, and I really missed it. I finally began to recognize the different approaches required to ride each particular bike fast, and realized that personally, I can't switch back & forth, back & forth, back & forth.

So, during the snow on Friday, I dared to drive down into Michaux, an adventure in itself. I can definitely tell that 99.997% of the local population does not ski, and hence, lacks the skills to get it while the gettin's good......damn those mother fuckers can't drive in snow for shit! Anyway, I picked up the new sled. She's green, with groovey stripes & has big wheels. She's got gears, but can run single once I build up another Eno wheel. She's built with mostly standard fare, a handful of swapped parts from the Yeti, then eventually the XTR crank on her, along with all the fresh shifty bits that were slated for the Yeti. A sweet, sweet ride.

I am so fucking psyched to ride this bike! Big wheels, no sloppy suspension timing to figure out, just 1" to take the edge off if/when needed. Something that should simply GO! when you stand on it. Something that you can crank along in too big of a gear, at too low of a cadence, without an overwhelming penalty. A bike that you can stand on while climbing, and not lose 2/3 of your input. A bike that will flow, and not require me to be in the perfect gear for the perfect cadence for the perfect timing out of a corner or over a log. Something that's always there and consistently there. An awesome backup steed for the DBR fixy. Damn, this really really really makes me happy in pants!

Is this the bike that finally carries me
to a Michaux Monster Series Title?

2 comments:

camps said...

what's Duff gonna ride now?

Tomi said...

The Slingshot, he likes it more than the Dos, guess that's what you call a win-win?